The detailed development of tip clearance loss from the leading to trailing edge of a linear turbine cascade was measured and the contributions made by mixing, internal gap shear flow, and endwall/ secondary flow were identified, separated, and quantified for the first time. Only 13 percent of the overall loss arises from endwall/secondary flow and of the remaining 87 percent, 48 percent is due to mixing and 39 percent is due to internal gap shear. All loss formation appears to be dominated by phenomena connected with the gap separation bubble. Flow established within the bubble by the pressure gradient separates as the gradient disappears and most of the internal loss is created by the entrainment of this separated fluid. When this high-loss leakage wake enters the mainstream, it separates due to the suction corner pressure gradient to create virtually all the measured mixing loss. It is suggested that the control of tip clearance loss by discharge coefficient reduction actually introduces loss. Performance improvements may result from streamlined tip geometries that optimize the tradeoff between entropy production and flow deflection.

This content is only available via PDF.
You do not currently have access to this content.