The ASME Journal of Nuclear Engineering and Radiation Science (NERS) celebrates its fourth year. On this occasion, I would like to congratulate all members of our Journal Board, reviewers listed in the following editorial, authors, and readers on this occasion! Below are the latest Journal statistics (also, see Table 1), changes, and plans for the future. First of all, I would like to express my great appreciation to those Associate and Guest Editors (AEs and GEs), whose terms have expired in 2018, for their valuable contributions to the Journal and nuclear engineering in general.
• Brian Ikeda (Ph.D.), UOIT, Oshawa, ON, Canada
• Rachid Machrafi (Ph.D.), UOIT, Oshawa, ON, Canada
• Arun Nayak (Ph.D.), BARC, Mumbai, India
• Wang Guoqiang (Ph.D.), Westinghouse Electric Company LLC, Pittsburgh, PA
Also, we would like to welcome the following new Associate and Guest Editors:
New Associate Editors:
• Liangzhi Cao (Ph.D.), Xi'an Jiaotong University, Xi'an, China
• Mauro Cappelli (Ph.D.), ENEA, Frascati, Italy
• Frederick J. Moody (Ph.D.), Consultant, Turlock, CA
• Masaya Ohtsuka (Ph.D.), Hitachi Ltd., Hitachi-shi, Ibaraki, Japan
• Eugene Shwageraus (Ph.D.), University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK
• Guoqiang Wang (Ph.D.), Westinghouse Electric Company LLC, Pittsburgh, PA
• Yonghee Kim (Ph.D.), KAIST, Daejeon, South Korea
New Guest Editors:
• Valentina Angelici Avincola (Ph.D.), University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
• Ali J. Chamkha (Ph.D.), Prince Mohammad Bin Fahd University, Al-Khobar, Saudi Arabia
• Fidelma Di Lema (Ph.D.), Idaho National Laboratory, Idaho Falls, ID
• Kevin Fernández-Cosials (Ph.D.), Universidad Politécnica de Madrid, Madrid, Spain
• Ignacio Gómez (Ph.D.), IRSN, Aix en Provence, France
• Iulia Ipatova (Ph.D.), University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
• Guohua Liu (Ph.D.), North China Electric Power University, Beijing, China
• Bren Phillips (Ph.D.), MIT, Cambridge, MA
• Martin Schulc (Ph.D.), Research Centre Rez, Rez, Czech Republic
• Guihua Tang (Ph.D.), Xi'an Jiaotong University, Xi'an, China
• Jinliang Xu (Ph.D.), North China Electric Power University, Beijing, China
With the abovementioned changes in the lists of Associate and Guest Editors, our editorial team consists of 1 Editor (Ed), 39 AEs, and 12 GEs, who represent 16 countries with nuclear-power reactors (Canada (1 Ed and 2 AEs); China (5 AEs and 3 GEs); Czech Republic (1 AE and 1 GE); France (1 AE and 1 GE); Germany (2 AEs); Hungary (1 AE); India (1 AE); Japan (5 AEs); South Korea (1 AE); Mexico (1 AE); Russia (2 AEs); Slovenia (1 AE); Spain (1 GE); Ukraine (1 Ed); United Kingdom (2 AE and 1 GE); and USA (10 AEs and 4 GEs)); and 3 countries without nuclear-power reactors (Israel (1 AE); Italy (3 AEs); and Saudi Arabia (1 GE)).
During our fourth year, we have published four issues electronically and as hard copies (as planned, always on time or ahead of schedule) with 100 papers including two Special Issues and one Special Section with selected augmented and revised papers from:
Eighth International Symposium on Supercritical Water-Cooled Reactors (ISSCWR-8), Mar. 13–15, 2017, Chengdu, China (Special Issue: No. 1, Vol. 4, January of 2018) (our first issue with all papers for free public access): Associate Editor—Dr. Thomas Schulenberg (KIT, Karlsruhe, Germany).
24th International Conference On Nuclear Engineering (ICONE-24), June 26–30, 2016, Charlotte, NC (Special Section in: No. 2, Vol. 4, April of 2018): Associate Editors—Dr. Asif Arastu (Unisont Engineering, Inc., Oakland, CA); Dr. Leon Cizelj (Jozef Stefan Institute, Ljubljana, Slovenia); Dr. Jovica Riznic (CNSC, Ottawa, ON, Canada); and Dr. Guoqiang Wang (Westinghouse Electric Company LLC, Pittsburgh, PA); and Guest Editor—Dr. Yassin Hassan (Texas A&M University, College Station, TX).
25th International Conference On Nuclear Engineering (ICONE-25), July 2–6, 2017, Shanghai, China (Special Issue: No. 4, Vol. 4, October of 2018): Guest Editor—Robert Stakenborghs (ILD, Baton Rouge, LA); and Associate Editors—Dr. Asif Arastu (Unisont Engineering, Inc., Oakland, CA); Dr. Leon Cizelj (Jozef Stefan Institute, Ljubljana, Slovenia); Dr. Jovica Riznic (CNSC, Ottawa, ON, Canada); Dr. Richard Schultz (Texas A&M University, College Station, TX); and Dr. Guoqiang Wang (Westinghouse Electric Company LLC, Pittsburgh, PA).
Also, our Special Issue on papers from the Eighth International Symposium on SuperCritical Water-Cooled Reactors (ISSCWR-8) (Issue No. 1, Vol. 4, January of 2018) has been listed on the GIF (Generation IV International Forum) website.1
Our plans for the near future are:
Publish four issues with a larger number of papers to make the “waiting time” for publishing as short as possible.
Publish several Special Issues and/or Special Sections with selected augmented and revised papers from: (a) The International Youth Nuclear Congress 2018 (IYNC2018), Mar. 11–17, 2018, Bariloche, Argentina (Issue No. 2, Vol. 5, April of 2019); (b) Research Centre Rez, Czech Republic (Issue No. 3, Vol. 5, July of 2019); (c) International Conference on Nuclear Engineering (ICONE-26), July 22–26, London, UK (Issue No. 4, Vol. 5, October of 2019).
Attract new papers from around the world for 2019 and 2020 issues.
The Journal of Nuclear Engineering and Radiation Science is currently included in the Web of Science, Emerging Sources Citation Index, and Scopus. We have received notification from the Clarivate Analytics, the current owner of the Web of Science, that the Journal is now scheduled for a review in June of 2019 for inclusion in the Science Citation Index Expanded (SCIE) so that it can receive an Impact Factor.
And finally, we hope that you will join us in this journal as authors of submitted manuscripts and as reviewers. This is indeed a unique international journal, which combines research, industrial operating experience, new designs/systems, safety analysis, applications of nuclear energy, and many other related topics that change the world and our lives for the better! We also hope you will enjoy reading papers that follow.
On the behalf of the ASME J. of NERS Editorial Board,
Igor L. Pioro, Dr. Tech. Sc., Ph.D., P.Eng.,
Fellow ASME, CSME, and EIC
Editor, Journal of Nuclear Engineering and Radiation Science
Faculty of Energy Systems and Nuclear Science,
University of Ontario Institute of Technology,
2000 Simcoe Street North,
Oshawa, ON L1G 0C5, Canada