Skip to Main Content
Skip Nav Destination

Electromagnetic Waves and Heat Transfer: Sensitivities to Governing Variables in Everyday Life

By
M. Kemal Atesmen
M. Kemal Atesmen
Search for other works by this author on:
ISBN:
9780791883648
No. of Pages:
226
Publisher:
ASME Press
Publication date:
2021

About 95 % of total solar radiation reaching Earth’s surface comprises of visible (380 to 750 nanometers, nm wavelengths) and infrared (700 to 1 x 106 nm wavelengths) regions of the electromagnetic radiation spectrum. Remaining 5 % of total solar radiation reaching Earth’s surface comprises of ultraviolet (UV) (100 to 400 nm wavelengths) region of the electromagnetic radiation spectrum. The UV region of the electromagnetic radiation spectrum is divided into three bands, namely UVA band between 315 and 400 nm wavelengths, UVB band between 280 and 315 nm wavelengths and UVC band between 100 and 280 nm wavelengths. Excessive exposure to solar UV radiation can cause very serious health effects on our skin, i.e. skin cancer, to our eyes, i.e. cataracts, and to our immune system. Also, exposure to solar UV radiation has cumulative adverse effect on human health.

This content is only available via PDF.
You do not currently have access to this chapter.
Close Modal

or Create an Account

Close Modal
Close Modal