The Title 10 of the Code of Federal Regulations (10 CFR) Part 52 process and unique aspects of a passive plant design have presented new challenges for the development and implementation of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) Code for Operation and Maintenance of Nuclear Power Plants (OM Code) requirements. This paper will discuss lessons learned from the development and implementation of pre-service testing (PST) / in-service testing (IST) program plans for the AP1000® plant, for both international and domestic. Topics to be addressed include the following:
• Level of detail in design certification
• Treatment of unique passive plant features
• Design certification commitments beyond Code requirements
• Future regulatory requirements for high-risk non-safety component PST/IST
• Implementation challenges for international plants
Paper published with permission.