For NAWTEC10, Messrs. Schwartz and White published and presented a paper on the retrofit of City of Tampa’s 1000-TPD, four-unit McKay Bay Facility. The original facility was constructed in 1967, as an incinerator. The first retrofit of the plant to a waste-to-energy facility occurred in 1985, and the 1999–2002 retrofit (chute to stack) enhanced the facility to current day technologies and environmental standards. This paper reviews both administrative and technical issues for the final project closeout, and describes several construction and operational improvements made in order to improve safety and optimize performance at the plant. Technical items include a remedy for excessive vibrations, addition of an ash conveyor ventilation system, successful use of boiler on-line concussion blasting, and addition of lower boiler furnace cameras.
- Solid Waste Processing Division
McKay Bay Waste-to-Energy Facility Retrofit Project Closeout
- Views Icon Views
- Share Icon Share
- Search Site
Schwartz, MP, & White, TM. "McKay Bay Waste-to-Energy Facility Retrofit Project Closeout." Proceedings of the 11th North American Waste-to-Energy Conference. 11th Annual North American Waste-to-Energy Conference. Tampa, Florida, USA. April 28–30, 2003. pp. 35-44. ASME. https://doi.org/10.1115/NAWTEC11-1668
Download citation file: