Over the last few years, the importance of detecting sulphur in petroleum products has increased dramatically. This is related to the necessity of complying with increasingly stringent government regulations and ensuring product quality. Reasons for detection and Monitoring of sulphur in different petroleum products has existed for the last so many years, but detection limits have been reduced dramatically in recent times. The sulphur analyzers for present requirements must now have the ability to detect sulphur from 1 parts per billion to 500 parts per million. This paper discusses about the following aspects:
• Indian Emission standards
• Evolution of BS 3/4/5 grades
• Need for online sulphur analyzers (OSA) in Pipeline industry.
• Detection technology
• Various options available in Online sulphur analyzers
Low Sulphur norms in Petroleum Products have evolved due to the following reasons:
- SO2 formed during combustion of fuels in IC engines damage the engines.
- Acids of SO2 increase rusting of engine parts, piston rings and cylinder walls.
- In environment, SO2 converts to Sulphuric acid by reaction with moisture and harm vegetation, aquatic, animal and human life.
- SO2 also corrodes man made buildings and monuments
This paper also explains about the various types of Online Suplhur analyzers users in HPCL and the issues faced with the same at feld level.