The objective of this paper is to evaluate current and potential use of composite pipe especially Glass Reinforced Epoxy (GRE) for transportation of effluent and hydrocarbon in onshore field. This paper brings out the followings:
1. Details of composite pipes along with its advantages like corrosion resistance, less weight, low maintenance requirement and better flow characteristics etc. compared to conventional steel.
2. Comparison of composite material pipes to conventional CS pipes.
3. Standards, specifications & recommended practices for use of GRE pipelines.
4. Current and planned use of GRE pipes in India.
5. Repair and maintenance of GRE pipelines.
6. Limitations of use of GRE pipes for hydrocarbon transportation.
7. Safety and environmental considerations for use of GRE pipelines.
8. Regulatory framework for use of GRE pipeline in India.