Recently, a group of countries has initiated an international collaboration, the Generation IV International Forum (GIF), to develop the next-generation nuclear reactors. The GIF program has narrowed the design options of nuclear reactors to the following six concepts:
1) SuperCritical-Water-cooled Reactor (SCWR);
2) Sodium-cooled Fast Reactor (SFR);
3) Lead-cooled Fast Reactor (LFR);
4) Molten Salt Reactor (MSR);
5) Gas-cooled Fast Reactor (GFR); and
6) Very-High-Temperature Reactor (VHTR);
The purpose of this paper is to compare main thermophysical, corrosion, and neutronic properties of the Generation-IV reactors’ coolants within the proposed range of operation.